A great day was had by all! A little cold in the morning but really warmed up later in the afternoon.
Ellie’s first trip to the Zoo!
Family! That look on Ellie’s face . . . lol . . . !!
Wooden tokens for the carousel.
Not impressed, lol. We were more excited than she was.
This girl . . . she’s getting too big!! Sitting up so straight – she was actually waving to all her fans. LOL
Belley and I had a few days together last week while mom and dad had a little get-away. We were going to meet Amie, Ellie and some friends at the zoo so we made up some trail mix for a snack. Annie’s Snicker Doodle Bunnies (delicious & from Target), mini-marshmallows, raisins, Easter colored M&M’s and some Pink Princess Goldfish.
And if you’re making Bunnie Trailmix for your friends, you must have cute Bunny Snack Bags!
The door guide that came with my kit required me to router out a channel in the bottom of the door. I decided this way would be an easier solution for me.
I got these at Home Depot, C-Guide? The half moon is plastic and has an adhesive back that you attach to the floor guide so it doesn’t scratch your door. The package came with a set of 2 and the screws.
Pre-drilled the holes.
Done! The door glides perfectly and keeps the door aligned.
I can’t even tell you how happy I am that this is done! Found the art at Michael’s and I’ve had the arrow for quite awhile – I bought the arrow at Hobby Lobby.
I am so in love with my door!!! I’ve gotta say when I was cutting and painting, I kept thinking – I should’ve just bought a door!! LOL, but one reason I push through my DIY projects is because I end up with exactly what I want. Love!!
I decided where I wanted my center trim to be so I could mark and cut the boards for my “X”. Here is a video I watched on Pinterest – it was super helpful. Thank you for posting – Warm Cozy Home – http://tinyurl.com/y6gdoucc
I’m hoping this will make sense . . . I wanted some kind of handle on the backside of the door to move it when it was closed. Nothing could protrude from the backside of the door so I used a door “finger pull” to have something to grab onto it. I marked the 1×4 where I wanted it – which would be behind my middle trim board. I then used my 2″ hole saw to cut the hole.
I put a couple of 2×4’s under the door so I wouldn’t cut into my floor.
After I attached the middle trim and “X” I turned the door over, painted the back with a couple of coats of Behr Semi-Gloss white and then glued the “finger pull” in place (forgot that pic).
I caulked all my nail holes and the trim pieces, then put another coat of paint over all the trim. Used a 3/4″ drill bit to drill the holes for the barn door hardware and attached those.
Added my door handle and now I’m just waiting to hang it up!!
We have a very special volunteer that comes into the office every Thursday to help out. EVERY Thursday we all wait with anticipation of “I wonder what Mary is going to bring”? EVERY Thursday she brings in a special homemade treat for us!!!! EVERY Thursday!!!! One of her specialties is making brownies with all different kinds of toppings or candy inserted in the mix. Today is brownies with a layer of peanut butter, caramel, chocolate and peanuts!!!! Let me just say, it’s as goooooddddd as it looks!! Thank you Mary!!
I chose primed mdf boards for my barn door – I’m painting it white as opposed to staining it so I thought primed boards would save me a coat of paint, LOL, andddd mdf boards have a slightly rounded edge and I wanted the extra visual definition between the boards. I purchased 7 – 1×4″x8′ and 2 – 1×6″x8′ for the face of the door. I cut my first board to 83″ then stacked and clamped 2 more 8′ boards to cut to size. I’ve found that clamping the boards together and placing the first cut right up against the saw blade gives me more precise cuts (cause I’m not that great at measuring, lol).
I took all the boards in the house and laid them on the flat floor of my kitchen – because building it inside made more sense to me. It’d be way to heavy for me to get it inside the house after building it. You can see the 7 inside 1×4″s and the 2 outside 1×6″s. I used 1×6″s for the outsides because the vertical trim I’m using on top will be 1×4″s and I wanted the reveal under the 1×4″ to show – as opposed to using all 1×4″s and the edges of the door just being stacked on top of each other. Does that make sense?
Here are my trim pieces. The door ended up being 35 1/2″ wide. (You can see the 1×4″s laid on top of the 1×6″s and you can see the reveal of the 1×6″.) I used a 1×6″ board for the top and bottom of the door and I cut those to the width of the door first (1 extra 1×6″x8′ board for the trim). Then I cut the vertical 1×4″s to fit between the top and bottom (2 extra 1×4″x8′).
Before attaching everything I painted all the boards first. Not sure if you can tell but a storm came through so painting happened inside the house. I used Behr Semi-Gloss White.
After the boards dried, I laid them back on the floor. Then I used 1 1/4″ brad nails and Gorilla Glue to attach all the trim boards which then started holding the door together.
I was pretty generous with the Gorilla Glue, lol. Glued first, then nailed.
Soooooo, I hate it when I forget to make sure the nailgun has enough nails!!!! When I realized I was out I couldn’t tell when it happened so I had to go back and nail them all again!
More to come . . .