I chose primed mdf boards for my barn door – I’m painting it white as opposed to staining it so I thought primed boards would save me a coat of paint, LOL, andddd mdf boards have a slightly rounded edge and I wanted the extra visual definition between the boards. I purchased 7 – 1×4″x8′ and 2 – 1×6″x8′ for the face of the door. I cut my first board to 83″ then stacked and clamped 2 more 8′ boards to cut to size. I’ve found that clamping the boards together and placing the first cut right up against the saw blade gives me more precise cuts (cause I’m not that great at measuring, lol).
I took all the boards in the house and laid them on the flat floor of my kitchen – because building it inside made more sense to me. It’d be way to heavy for me to get it inside the house after building it. You can see the 7 inside 1×4″s and the 2 outside 1×6″s. I used 1×6″s for the outsides because the vertical trim I’m using on top will be 1×4″s and I wanted the reveal under the 1×4″ to show – as opposed to using all 1×4″s and the edges of the door just being stacked on top of each other. Does that make sense?
Here are my trim pieces. The door ended up being 35 1/2″ wide. (You can see the 1×4″s laid on top of the 1×6″s and you can see the reveal of the 1×6″.) I used a 1×6″ board for the top and bottom of the door and I cut those to the width of the door first (1 extra 1×6″x8′ board for the trim). Then I cut the vertical 1×4″s to fit between the top and bottom (2 extra 1×4″x8′).
Before attaching everything I painted all the boards first. Not sure if you can tell but a storm came through so painting happened inside the house. I used Behr Semi-Gloss White.
After the boards dried, I laid them back on the floor. Then I used 1 1/4″ brad nails and Gorilla Glue to attach all the trim boards which then started holding the door together.
I was pretty generous with the Gorilla Glue, lol. Glued first, then nailed.
Soooooo, I hate it when I forget to make sure the nailgun has enough nails!!!! When I realized I was out I couldn’t tell when it happened so I had to go back and nail them all again!
More to come . . .
I was in the Springs this weekend visiting my daughter and her family. We went shopping on Saturday because we love Kirkland’s and I found this sweet little pic. It’s even MORE adorable in person! Sooooo cute! Here’s the link to Kirkland’s: https://tinyurl.com/y5gq4u4s
I bought this Barn Door Hardware probably 3 years ago. I’ve finally learned that projects don’t get done as fast as you think when you’re doing them yourself. Since my wall is already existing I needed to add a “header” for it to hang from. So I used a 1″x4″x8′ pre-primed pine board and marked it to the length I wanted. The door rail is 6′ long.
I painted it and then screwed it into the studs in the wall. That door is the old door to my closet – it will be coming off.
Then I pre-drilled the holes for the rail spacers that hold the bolts for the railing. My neighbor came over to help me hold it while I screwed the anchors in.
The hardware kit comes with everything you need, except the door and your door handle. Barn Door – Part 2 tomorrow.
This is the kit I bought from Home Depot: https://tinyurl.com/y2ku2wvs
I finished the old closet/new mistress bath entrance! Yahoo . . . flooring (check), paint (check), baseboards (check), trim pieces (check), decorative hooks (check)!! LOVE . . . nowwwww I can think about adding my “barn door”!
So finishing my bedroom floor into the “old” closet opened up the opportunity to finally work on the “old closet”. The opening in the wall where you see the stud was actually the back of my house before the addition. I had to finish the flooring before I could work on the door trim so . . .
It took me awhile to get those darn supports boards off the wall! The support boards held a shelf over the hanging closet bar and they were in here for life – hence the holes in the sheetrock, lol.
Once I got those boards down I painted. The pink is the same as my bedroom – Behr “Barely Blush” so pretty. And the cream color is the perfect cream but I forgot to get the name (TBA).
My first time cutting sheetrock and it wasn’t too bad. I didn’t have to worry to much about it because you don’t see it. I used it to fill in behind the door jam. And I used a 1×6 to separate the two colors and too cover up the holes I made in the sheetrock, lol.
Still have to caulk, paint the trim and add the cute stuff! More to come!
I’ve had this orchid plant at work for years. Out of the blue last year it grew a stem, budded & flowered about 8 blooms and they lasted for a few months! At Christmas I was taking it into the little kitchen here at work to water it but I dropped it and broke the little clay pot it was in. I was so bummed because it had just grown a new stem with tiny buds (again!!) and I was afraid I killed it. I repotted it and took it home. It is blooming again!!!! Seriously, I’ve had it for years – maybe 5 and now it’s bloomed twice in one year!! Totally stoked! And yes, feel free to notice my cute little pig picture in the background, lol.